Norway rocked as ‘at least 80’ are killed in devastating day of violence

      

(images: Guardian, Independent)

More than 80 people are dead after two incidents of terrorism in Norway on Friday, the worst post-war attack on that country’s soil - and among the most deadly single attacks ever perpetrated.

The “catastrophic” day of violence began when seven people were killed when government buildings in the capital Oslo were badly damaged in “at least one” very large explosion, thought to have been caused by a “massive vehicle bomb.”  The explosion was heard more than seven kilometers outside the city.

Many people were also injured in the blast, near the office of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg. Mr Stoltenberg was unhurt in the incident, which happened at about 9.30 ET, mid-afternoon in Oslo. 

Reuters reported that “..the tangled wreckage of a car was outside one building and the damage appeared consistent to witnesses with that from car bombs, while the AP reported that “nearby offices were evacuated including those housing some of Norway’s leading newspapers and news agency NTB. Some of them were also damaged.”

Shortly after the explosions in Oslo, in what appeared to be a coordinated attack, a man dressed as a police officer began shooting at a summer camp for young members of the Norwegian Labour Party, which was being held on the island of Utoya, about 25 miles away.

Police at first said five people were thought to have been injured in that attack, but reports began to  emerge suggesting that many more people had been hurt or killed. It was subsequently confirmed that nine people had been killed in the shooting at the camp, but fears remained, based on eye-witness accounts, that the death toll could be even higher.

Finally, authorities said that at least 80 people had been killed in the Utoya shootings and that police were still searching for more victims.

Authorities said the gunman had been taken into custody and the nation’s Justice Minister subsequently said that the person who had been arrested was a 32-year-old Norwegian, although he has not been officially named. As the country, and the world, searched for reasons for the attack, the Norwegian government held an emergency meeting on Friday evening.

Prime Minister Stoltenberg later held a press conference, and said the attacks would have the effect of simply creating “more openness and more democracy.” He said to whoever was responsible: ”You will not destroy us. You will not destroy our democracy or our ideals for a better world.” 

.

Follow developments on the story using these hashtags:

#Oslo

#Utoya

#Norway

#Stoltenberg

.

The BBC’s coverage including live-stream is here.

CNN’s This Just In blog is here.

The Guardian’s live-blog is here, updated by Haroon Siddique.

Reuters’ live-blog is here, updated by Anthony DeRosaRyan McCarthy and Lars Paronen, which is gathering footage and images.

Channel 4 News has some dramatic footage of the aftermath of the bombing here.

Check Twingly for scooping tweets (via Jim MacMillan) – although the feed sometimes scrolls very quickly.

What Just Happened in Oslo? - Mother Jones.

The Vancouver Sun updates are here.

Follow tweets from the Toronto Globe and Mail’s Doug Saunders here.

Joseph Stashko has been Storifying.

.

Local Norwegian media:

Aftenposten

Dagbladet

NRK

VGTV

.

Nicholas Jackson at The Atlantic writes about discovering news of the attack and what Google has lost in moments like this.

.

(image: CNN)